(serving size: 1/2 cup)
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour soaking
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
1/2 pound beets. Red Ace, Golden, Cylindra or Chiogga
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place beets in a baking pan and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, a couple of tablespoons water and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cover beets with heavy foil and bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 25 to 30 minutes if small, 30 to 45 minutes if medium-sized, 45 to 60 minutes if large. Let beets cool, then peel and dice.
2. Place bulgur in a large bowl. In a medium pot, combine 2 cups water with beets. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Strain beets, reserving liquid. Measure out 11/2 cups liquid and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour over bulgur. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let sit until liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour.
3. Transfer beets to a blender. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard and a large pinch each salt and pepper. Whisk in remaining 1/3 cup olive oil and the canola oil; add more salt and pepper if needed. Pour dressing over beets and pulse until mixture forms a coarse purée. Add half the beet vinaigrette to bulgur and toss well. If bulgur seems dry, add a little more dressing, to taste. Toss in parsley and dill and more salt and pepper if needed. Serve at once or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Adapted from Telepan Restaurant