Curried Squash and Pear Soup
Recipe submitted by: HEATHER SEAL-BRESLIN, RYE CSA
- 1 Butternut Squash (about 2 3/4 pounds)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Chopped Peeled Bartlett Pear (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups Thinly Sliced Onion
- 2 1/3 cups Water
- 1 cup Pear Nectar
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans Vegetable Broth*
- 2 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1 small Bartlett Pear, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet; bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool. Peel squash; mash pulp. Set aside 3 1/2 cups pulp, reserving remaining squash for another use.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped pear and onion; sauté 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add squash pulp, water, and next 5 ingredients (water through pepper). Bring to a boil; partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes.
- Place one-third of squash mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour puréed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture.
- Return squash mixture to pan; stir in half-and-half. Cook over low heat 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with pear slices.
Serves 8 (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)