Please login to place an order for seed oils from the online Marketplace.
Stony Brook WholeHeartedFoods creates handcrafted seed oils made in small batches from Finger Lakes production kitchen using 100% locally sourced seeds from nearby farms. Each oil varies in color and flavor profile depending on the seed variety, with colors ranging from dark emerald green (pumpkin) to a rich golden hue (butternut squash) to a sunny yellow (organic sunflower). The flavor profiles are equally varied, ranging from mild, savory umami flavors to the more pronounced taste of roasted peanuts or hazelnuts. Oils are expeller-pressed without added heat or chemicals in batches every week, for maximum freshness and flavor (cold-pressed is a term most appropriate for olive oils, not seed oils). The facility is nut-free, dairy-free and wheat-free.
Organic Sunflower Seed Oil
Award winning Organic Sunflower Seed Oil is NOFA-certified organic. This oil is our version of an unrefined cooking oil suitable for all food preparation. It has a mild flavor of fresh sunflower seeds and pairs well with all foods. Use for general cooking and baking, up to medium high heat.
- Ingredient: 100% organic, unrefined sunflower seed oil.
- Flavor profile: mild flavor of fresh sunflower seeds
- Uses: sauteeing foods, salad dressings, baked goods. Smoke point is medium high heat or 350 degrees F. Recommended for stir frying and sauteeing, not deep fat frying.
- Shelf life: one year
- Nutrition: Oil is low in saturated fat and a good source of Vitamin E and fatty acids like palmitic acid, stearic acid, oleic acid, and linoleic acid. No trans fat or cholesterol.
Roasted Pumpkin Seed Oil
100% pure varietal oil made from oilseed pumpkins grown in upstate New York. The oil has a deep emerald color and flavors of toasted sesame and roasted mushroom. It has a more complex flavor profile than its Austrian cousin, Styrian pumpkin seed oil.
- Ingredient: 100% pure, non-GMO pumpkin seed oil.
- Flavor profile: savory, sesame, roasted mushrooms, pistachio.
- Uses: drizzling over vegetables, salads, soups. Smoke point is only 250 degree F, so avoid high heat. Wonderful on goat cheese, steamed cauliflower or green beans, or broiled fish.
- Shelf life: one year but best consumed as fresh as possible; flavor mellows over timer; keep cool and enjoy within 2 months of opening.
- Nutrition: oil is high in vitamin A, E, essential fatty acids like omega-3, mono- and polyunsaturated fats, low in saturated fat. No trans fat or cholesterol.
Organic Flax Seed Oil
Organic Flax Seed Oil is made with 100% organic golden flax seeds. The oil has a bright golden color with a taste reminiscent of raw sesame seeds and wheatgerm. A great way to add healthy omega-3 fats to your diet, drizzle flaxseed oil on toast before you add jam, combine with vinegar and olive oil for salads, add to mashed potatoes or pasta. Flax seed oil is very delicate, has a shorter shelf life than other oils and is not suitable for cooking. It should be refrigerated after opening and consumed within three months.
- Ingredient: 100% organic fresh-pressed, unrefined and unfiltered flaxseed oil.
- Flavor profile: raw sesame seeds and wheatgerm
- Uses: drizzling over vegetables, salads, mashed sweet potatoes. This oil is very delicate; store in the refrigerator and do not heat.
- Shelf life: 3 months, best consumed as fresh as possible. Refrigeration recommended.
- Nutrition: Oil is high in omega-3 and -6 fats and lignans, low in saturated fat. No trans fat or cholesterol.
Butternut Squash Seed Oil
This oil is released by precise roasting and expeller pressing without the use of chemicals, excessive heat or harsh filtration. This gently processed oil contains no hydrogenated fats, chemical additives, or preservatives. The oil contains only one ingredient: oil from roasted pressed varietal squash seeds. We produce the oil in small batches, ensuring a level of quality from seed to bottle to shelf. The oil's nutty taste makes a great replacement for nuts in baked goods or stuffings for those with nut allergies.
- Ingredient: 100% pure butternut squash seed oil, not a blend.
- Flavor profile: warm, buttery, nutty taste reminiscent of cashew or peanut
- Uses: sautéing, grilling or roasting vegetables and meats, or as a flavoring oil on prepared dishes. Smoke point of 425 F. Try drizzled over ravioli with wilted greens and grated parmesan.
- Shelf life: one year. Store in refrigerator to extend shelf life.
- Nutrition: Oil is high in polyunsaturated fat, and one-third of the saturated fat in butter. Rich in Vitamin E. No trans fat or cholesterol.